This. A gooey s’more galette that tastes like a big ol’ cookie with it’s flakey, chewy graham cracker crust, a layer of peanut butter, more graham crackers, melted chocolate and lightly toasted marshmallows.
Why a galette? To be honest, my initial reason behind making this into a galette was because, well, a s’mores galette just sounded like a great idea. My second reason is that I firmly believe that everything I make should be in galette form. They’re ridiculously easy to make and always look rustic and beautiful and impressive enough to wow the people you’re serving it to.
Galettes are like pies, but made without a pie plate. The dough is rolled out into a (probably uneven) circle, filled with toppings, and then the edges are folded over by hand to make a “crust”. That’s it. It bakes right on the baking sheet, and can be sliced up and served like a pie.
There’s nothing quite as nostalgic as a classic s’more. Even now, when I go camping, I love roasting a big marshmallow on a whittled down stick, getting those edges nice and crispy, squishing it between a crunchy graham cracker and a layer of melty chocolate. I can almost smell the campfire.
I don’t go camping as often as I’d like, so sometimes I have to make due with what I have at home and come up with some other way to enjoy the classic flavour combination of a s’more but, well, without the campfire. I’ve tried making them in the microwave, and the oven, but they never turn out quite the same.
Enter in this s’mores galette.
I recommend serving this to a group of hungry guests and letting them all dig in for themselves. The best part about a galette is you can plunk it down on the table and everyone can slice a piece for themselves while being amazed at how the whole thing looks.
The peanut butter is optional, but it does add a layer of creaminess to the galette and makes it tastes just that much better. I add peanut butter to my campfire s’mores sometimes, so why not here?
This galette is best served immediately while the chocolate and marshmallows are still warm!
This, my friends, is summer.
|Peanut Butter S'mores Galette|| |
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup graham crackers, ground into fine crumbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) frozen butter, grated
- 5 Tbsp ice water
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 3 large graham crackers, coarsely crumbled
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup mini marhsmallows
- In food processor, combine flour, graham crackers, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Add in butter and pulse until crumbly. Pour water over mixture and pulse until a crumbly dough forms. Remove from processor, roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; roll dough into a 12-inch circle on top of the baking sheet. Sprinkle a thin layer of flour on top of the dough to prevent the crust from getting soggy.
- Spread peanut butter evenly over dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Top with ½ of the chocolate and the graham cracker chunks, fold over edges, and bake for 20 minutes until crust has browned. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate and mini marshmallows over top of the galette. Bake for another 5-8 minutes until marshmallows are soft and browned. Let cool slightly before slicing.