Until quite recently I had no idea what a galette was. I think I came across the word in a cookbook, thought it sounded fancy and immediately had to look it up. A galette is a flat, round pastry/tart, similar to a pie but made without an actual pie plate. You basically just roll out the dough on a baking sheet, place your filling on top, roll over the edges and bake. It’s as easy as PIE (which is my kind of pie)!
They can be savory or sweet, filled with veggies for dinner or fruit for dessert. I opted for the dessert version, of course, using lots of fresh blueberries and some tart plums. There’s nothing better than warm, melty fruit on a crisp summer night, is there?
I really can’t stress how simple this was to make! I’d love to say that I slaved all day in the kitchen to make this, but really the hardest part was just waiting for the dough to chill. I do recommend chilling the dough before you roll it out – it helps the galette keep its shape and lessens the chance of the fruit filling oozing out the bottom.
Aside from being delicious, this made my house smell amazing. It’s definitely best fresh out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! I did have leftovers but they were devoured within a day or two. At one point Matt said “is it dessert time yet? I can’t wait”. For him to say that, on day THREE of having this for dessert, that must mean it’s crazy good.
Any type of fruit would be fabulous in this galette. I can’t wait to try baking some with strawberries, blackberries, rhubarb, cranberries, peaches, pears or apples… The combinations are endless. Use whatever’s in season! For those of you lucky enough to go berry picking in the summer months, this would be the perfect way to use them up! And I haven’t even thought of more savoury combinations…
|Blueberry & Plum Galette|| |
- 1⅓ cups + 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 stick butter (8 Tbsp), cut into pieces
- 5 Tbsp ice water
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 cup plums, sliced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beated with 1 tsp water
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt and sugar. Add in butter and pulse until crumbly. Pour water over flour mixture and process until a dough starts to form. Remove dough from processor, roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Mix together blueberries, plums, lemon juice, sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle on top of the baking sheet and sprinkle a thin layer of flour on top (this will keep the berry juices from seeping through the bottom). Spoon fruit mix onto dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Fold edges over, covering part of the mixture. Brush edges with egg mixture, sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes until fruit is bubbling and dough is golden.
- Let cool slightly before serving with a big scoop of ice cream.