Does anyone else have an obsession with tiny things? Those mini bottles of booze on airplanes, teacup pigs, miniature versions of any kind of food. If it’s little and cute, I’m all over it.
I started craving those two-bite brownies on a day I was also craving lemon meringue pie. Thus, these were born. I can’t get over how cute they are. And delicious! The sweet, crunchy crust, the tart zing of the lemon curd, the fluffy texture of the meringue, all in bite-size form.
|Two Bite Lemon Meringue Pies|| || |
- For lemon curd:
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- For crust:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- For meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- To make lemon curd: In a large heatproof bowl, mix eggs, yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Set bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and custard-like, about 8 minutes. Strain mixture with a mesh sieve and into a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5 hours.
- To make the crust: Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a mini muffin pan. Mix butter, shortening and icing sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla and salt. Stir in flour until thoroughly mixed. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place each ball in a muffin cup. You should fill the whole pan. Using thumb, press dough into muffin cup, shaping into a tart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Let cool in pan completely, the add dollops of lemon curd into the crust shells.
- To make meringue: In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form, about another 10 minutes. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and top filled tarts.
- Broil in the oven until the meringue is golden, about 2 minutes.