There’s something about a good scone that makes me want to curl up on the couch with a pot of strong tea, watch a few seasons of Downton Abbey and start speaking with a classy British accent a la Adele. Scones aren’t even that British. Not like, say, crumpets. But even still.
Speaking of Downton Abbey (don’t judge, I’m going to nerd out here) can I just say how much I miss me some Downton? My boyfriend Matt and I basically binged-watched all four seasons in a couple of weeks. We were a little late to board the Downton Abbey train, but once we did, yikes. We started watching it almost as a joke, but soon enough we were both hooked. And Matt’s not exactly the type of guy you’d expect to be addicted to such an old-timey soap opera (he’s more of a flannel wearing, bacon loving, manly Canadian, eh).
Anyway. Right. Back to the scones.
I know there are lots of people out there who aren’t fans of scones. I get it. I’ve had too-dry scones, too-crumbly scones, too-bland scones and scones that taste like they’ve been rolled in flour and dunked in corn starch.
These scones are nothing like those. I promise. These scones are a whole lot of tasty.
The dough in these scones makes them crumbly and yet soft and flaky. The strawberries are sweet, the rhubarb is tart, the basil is herby, and all three together are heavenly. Plus, how gorgeous are they? Rhubarb makes everything pretty.
Strawberries and rhubarb may not be the most original of combinations, but it’s a classic for a reason. It tastes so freaking good! One of my favourite types of pies is strawberry rhubarb. It has such a tart and tangy taste, it pairs so well with fruit. Why not put them in a scone for a perfect breakfast treat?
The next time I make these (and there will definitely be a next time) I’m doubling the recipe because me and my flannel wearing, bacon loving, manly Canadian boyfriend polished them off in two days. That’s four scones a day. Each! No regrets.
Eat them fresh out of the oven or warmed up in the microwave with a little bit of butter. In fact, grab one for me, I’ll put the kettle on and meet you in the garden for some tea!
|Strawberry Rhubarb & Basil Scones|| |
- 1½ cups rhubarb, diced ¼-inch thick (about 3-4 stalks)
- 1½ cups strawberries, diced ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), frozen
- ½ cup sugar + more for topping
- ¾ cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Toss rhubarb, strawberries and basil with 3 Tbsp of sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture with a regular cheese grater. Using your hands, mix the butter into the flour until it's nicely mixed and crumbly. Stir in sugar, then blend in the rhubarb/strawberry mixture.
- Add cream and blend until a soft dough forms. It will be crumbly, but don't worry!
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface, rolling if necessary to get all the flour mixed. Shape into a circle and flatten, then cut into 8 triangles. Sprinkle with more sugar, if desired.
- Transfer to an unlined baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes until nice and browned on top.