This week, we’re all about the drinks! Three drink posts in a row may seem like a lot, but since Finn and I don’t really coordinate our posts (oops!) we can’t help the overlap. Plus, this time of year, we’re both constantly sipping on something warm and cosy, so it’s no wonder we’re both into the holiday sippers!
Today’s post is brought to you by those obnoxiously long-winded coffee orders. I used to mock these crazy drink orders to no end – skinny, half pump, no whip, soy, half froth, double sleeve, quadruple annoyance-for-the-people-behind-you-in-line type orders.
But now I understand. There was a time where my 17-year-old self would order a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks, and it would be glorious. Minty, outrageously sweet, covered in whip and candy cane sprinkles. The sugar high would carry me through 2 hours of homework and then a 6-hour closing shift at work.
These days, I don’t think I could enjoy a regular peppermint mocha even if I tried. They are really, really sweet for someone who isn’t used to that amount of sugar. On the off chance I do order one, it’s one of those long winded orders. Tall, skinny, half sweet, no whip peppermint mocha. Still delicious, but still a rare treat.
A good alternative to these drinks is always homemade. This recipe might not be the healthiest, but it’s definitely delicious, and I find it a lot more satisfying to know exactly what’s in the thing that I’m making.
This mocha has a creamy white chocolate taste, a slight coffee kick, and a burst of fresh peppermint. It’s like the holiday season in a cup!
While this drink is sweet thanks to the creamy white chocolate, it isn’t overpowering. The coffee and vanilla balance out the creaminess, and the peppermint adds a refreshing minty feel that transforms this drink from mocha to peppermint mocha supreme.
The added whipped cream and candy canes are optional, but… ‘Tis the season. No one’s judging you here!
|Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha|| |
- 1½ cups milk (whole, skim, almond, etc)
- 4 oz white chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup brewed coffee, plus more if needed
- ¼-1/2 tsp peppermint extract, to taste
- Whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Crushed candy canes, for topping (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, white chocolate, vanilla extract, and coffee. Stir constantly until chocolate has fully melted and steam rises from the top of the mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract, to taste. Start with a bit and work your way up slowly - peppermint extract can be quite potent!
- Served topped with whipped cream and crushed candy canes, if desired.