I’m all about simple recipes these days. You’d think with all the time in the world, I’d be going the elaborate, full-day food adventure route but, alas, with fingers swollen to the size of sausages and the ever-looming possibility that my ‘vacation’ could end at any second… yeah, not so much.
I bake and I veggie. Two opposite ends of the spectrum.
One of my favourite go-to snacks these days is veggies and dip. It’s nice and cooling in this summer heat and I can eat as much or as little as I like, grazing often throughout the day. The fact that I can pat myself on the back for eating my 5-7 servings of veggies doesn’t hurt either.
This dip is light, tangy and fresh- nothing here to weigh you down at all. Fresh herbs, lemon, tart cream… it almost doesn’t even require a recipe, but I’ll share one anyway because… well… this is a food blog.
The earlier you make this, the better it gets, since the flavours really get a chance to melt together after a couple hours. I discovered this by making a bumper batch one day and snacking on it over the course of a week. By Wednesday, as I cleaned off the last few swipes of dip, it was especially hard to say goodbye to this tasty snack.
|Light & Lemony Herb Dip|| |
- 500 ml sour cream, crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
- 2 lemons, zest
- 1 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh veggies, to serve (carrots, radishes, celery, cauliflower, etc.)
- Mix sour cream, lemon zest, chives and dill in a medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Best if made ahead of time, as they flavours really meld as this dip rests. I like to make this dip the day ahead of a party so that by the time I take it out of the fridge, the crème has really absorbed the flavours of the lemon and herbs.