Waking up to the sound of the birds chirping outside the window. Sprinkling some blueberries in your morning cereal. The smell of freshly cut grass and the feel of it on your bare feet. Walking in the rain without an umbrella. Writing that first word on a brand new, untainted notebook. Taking a hot bath at the end of a particularly stressful day. Snacking on flavourful, fruity summer popsicles as the sunshine tickles your skin.
It’s hard to resist feeling happy when you realize how many simple pleasures in life there really are.
Sometimes, though, amidst the daily grind and routine, these simple pleasures can go unseen. It happens to everyone – things get stressful and it’s easy to complain and yearn for something fresh and exciting. When that happens to me, I force myself to take a step back, rewind a bit, and focus on the little things I have in my life that make it all matter.
These popsicles are definitely one of life’s little pleasures that can brighten even the gloomiest day, no matter what time of year. Sure, popsicles are generally saved for the warmer summer months, but there’s nothing stopping you from whipping up a batch in the winter.
A lassi is a traditional yogurt-based Indian drink made primarily with yogurt, spices, and fruit. While they’re delicious on their own, I knew I wanted to amp them up a bit. What better way to enjoy a drink than in popsicle form?
These popsicles are made in two parts: one part a mango puree made from fresh mango (or defrosted, but fresh is best), a homemade ginger simple syrup, and just a hint of aromatic cardamom to enhance the fruity flavour. The second part is simply yogurt and milk, whisked together. The two parts are then layered in popsicle molds and briefly swirled before freezing to achieve that marbled effect.
They’re simple, require minimal ingredients and prep, and are the perfect pick-you-up. Plus, they’re pretty, and things that look pretty always taste better, no?
In case anyone’s curious, I use this popsicle mold and couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve made so many popsicles with it lately, it’s one of my most-used items ever purchased off Amazon!
It’s hard to resist a good popsicle in the summertime. Especially ones made with fresh mango puree, tangy ginger, delicate flecks of cardamom, and cooling yogurt. Enjoy, friends!
|Ginger Mango Lassi Popsicles|| |
- Ginger Simple Syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tbsp fresh ginger, sliced thin
- 2 cups of fresh (or defrosted) mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup ginger simple syrup (recipe above)
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup of milk
- To make the simple syrup, bring sugar, water, and ginger slices to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes; remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain out ginger slices.
- In a blender or food processor, combine mango, simple syrup, and cardamom and pulse until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk.
- Pour a bit of mango mixture into the popsicle molds, then a bit of the yogurt mix, alternating until the molds are full. Use a knife or chopstick to swirl through the popsicle molds, creating the marbled appearance. Freeze overnight until solid.