Growing up, I always felt pretty neutral towards cornbread. In theory, it was very exciting- it meant barbecue or chili for dinner! With a special carb-y side! (always the carb monster, I am) In practice, however, it often left me a little underwhelmed. I have consumed far too many cornbreads that are dry or sorely lacking in flavour.
… and then I discovered this recipe. Now cornbread is always exciting.
Of course, the flip side is that whenever I make this lovely loaf I tend to… ya know, eat the whole thing. Like, right away. No one needs to eat a whole loaf of cornbread in one sitting (kidding, I do).
This easy cornbread is nicely crumbly with a good crunch but stays moist thanks to the use of creamed corn. I like mine drizzled with a bit of Memphis-style barbecue sauce, a little butter, or just on it’s own- straight out of the pan.
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ¼ lb unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup canned creamed corn
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups white flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup corn flour
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- In a saucepan, melt the honey and butter over low heat then set aside to cool. Once fully cooled, add the eggs, milk and creamed corn and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a whisk, stirring well to ensure there are no lumps.
- To bake a loaf of cornbread, butter a standard bread loaf pan and pour in the batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 30–35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- To bake a flat, restaurant-style cornbread, line a 8-inch square brownie pan or a springform pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter onto the pan and ensure it is evenly distributed. Place a small stainless steel bowl with water on the bottom of the oven. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown, turning once during that period
- Remove from the oven and let it cool at least ten minutes before serving.