Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which means I should proooobably be posting cute little sweets and desserts to give away to our special someone(s). But ohmygosh these BURGERS; they just couldn’t wait.
Matt, if you’re listening, screw roses. I have zero interest in flowers or lacy I Love You cards. The key to my love lies in a big, cheesy burger.
Be still my beating heart.
But hey, this Sunday is the Superbowl (or so I hear? Go, sportsball!), and these burgers are definitely Superbowl friendly. While the best part of the Big Game is the snacks, there still needs to be some sort of of substantial main. Fire up the grill and cook up a few of these babies. Your tastebuds – and your friends – will love you for it.
The key to these burgers is high quality sausage. This isn’t a time for the cheap stuff! Using pre-seasoned sausage makes these patties a snap to assemble without sacrificing flavour. I chose chorizo, because I’m a sucker for the spicy stuff, but you could easily swap for a milder sausage if that’s what you prefer.
Simply remove the sausages from their casings, shape into patties, and grill. Top with melty provolone cheese, sweet caramelized onions and some sauteed kale.
So there you go! Happy Superbowl, everyone! Enjoy all the food! (Oh yeah, and I guess enjoy the game? Nah. Just the food.)
|Chorizo Sausage Burgers with Sautéed Kale and Caramelized Onions|| |
- 650 g chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 2 small onions, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups packed kale, roughly chopped*
- 4 large slices provolone cheese
- Ciabatta buns, to serve
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onions in oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden brown. Be patient - the best caramelized onions are cooked low and slow.
- Shape sausage meat into 4 patties. Light a grill to medium-high heat and grill the burgers, about 7 minutes per side, until fully cooked. Add cheese slices to the top of the burgers for the last minute of cooking.
- While burgers are cooking, add kale and ½ cup of water to the skillet with the onions. Turn heat up to medium and saute until kale has cooked down and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve burgers on buns with a generous topping of spinach and onion mixture.