Summer is nearing it’s end here in Vancouver, and while I’ll miss the hot, lazy summer days, I’m oddly excited for Fall to arrive. Bring on the crisp, sunny days, snow-capped mountains, crunchy leaves, cozy sweaters and all the wonderful food flavours or Autumn.
I’m sorry, I’ll stop! It’s not even September yet! There’s still a whole week left in August so I have a few more sunny summer recipes to throw at you so you can take advantage of your BBQ/patio for the tail end of the season.
These chicken teriyaki burgers are best made on a smoky grill. Teriyaki and pineapple is such a classic, refreshing flavour combination, and what better way to enjoy it than grilled up in burger form?
To those of you who are pineapple skeptics (say on pizza, perhaps?) I understand where you’re coming from. I’m not the biggest fan of Hawaiian Pizza, because those canned cubes of preserved pineapple leave something to be desired. But, hear me out, if you grill up some fresh, juicy, real pineapple, well, it’s amazing. Gloriously sweet and smoky at the same time. Plus it’s awesome on a burger. Trust me. If you’re looking for a “summer burger”, top it with grilled pineapple and you’re set.
|Chicken Teriyaki Burgers with Caramelized Onions & Grilled Pineapple|| |
- 3 large onions, sliced into strips
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices fresh pineapple
- 4 burger buns
- Begin caramelizing the onions: in a skillet over low heat, saute onions in oil until softened and dark brown in colour, 1-2 hours. The longer the better!
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, teriyaki sauce, panko crumbs, egg, cilantro, red chili flakes, garlic, green onions, ginger and Worcestershire sauce. Using your hands, form into 4 patties, place on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour*.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill burgers about 5 minutes per side until cooked all the way through. Place cheese on top of patties and cook for a minute longer until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, grill pineapple slices, about 3 minutes per side, until charred.
- Serve patties on burger buns, topped with a slice of pineapple and a scoop of caramelized onions.