Are these muffins or cinnamon rolls? Shaped like a roll but baked in a muffin tray, they’re not exactly rolls and they’re not exactly muffins. Doughy and cakey, bursting with sugary cinnamon and sweet blueberries, topped with a classic glaze. Perfection. I’ll admit something, though: These were a total fluke! I had no idea how they would turn out when I started making them, but oh man did they ever turn out GOOOOD. Like, eat-4-as-soon-as-they’re-out-of-the-oven good.
I had been craving a cinnamon bun for WEEKS. It was starting to get annoying, having such a massive craving and not being able to quench it. I tried cinnamon bun recipe after cinnamon bun recipe but NOTHING seemed to be working quite right; either the dough wouldn’t rise on the counter, it’d be too tough, or they wouldn’t rise in the oven. In case you don’t know, cinnamon buns are hard. They usually require two rises and just the right amount of yeast. I haven’t mastered it yet. But one day, my friends, one day.
Until then: THESE. Oh, these these these.
When I started making these, all I knew was that I wanted something like a cinnamon bun (preferably yeast-free), stuffed with lots of sugar and cinnamon and topped with a yummy glaze. Then I saw a tub of blueberries in my fridge and it dawned on me: blueberry cinnamon roll muffins.
These are so easy and foolproof, you can’t really go wrong.They certainly look fancy enough, but trust me, they’re a) pretty b) delicious and c) EASY. If I can check all three of those off in one recipe, it’s a hit. Sticky and sweet and doughy and tart…I’m going to be making these all summer.
Have them warmed up for breakfast, or cold for lunch. Or even, if you dare, warmed up for dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Take a moment to think about how yummy that would be. Oh, the possibilities!
The glaze is optional but highly recommended. Actually scratch that, the glaze is mandatory – you need the glaze to understand the full amazingness of these muffin rolls.
I promise, one day I’ll perfect the classic cinnamon roll. But I don’t need to hurry, these will satisfy me twice over until then.
|Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Muffins|| |
- 2½ cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ stick butter, softened (1/4 cup)
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ½ stick butter, melted (1/4 cup)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To make dough: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend in butter with pastry blender (or your hands). Add in milk and eggs and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle, about ¼ inches thick. Baste with melted butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.
- Carefully roll up rectangle, starting at the wide end. Using string, cut roll into 12 pieces and place each piece in a greased muffin tin.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until raised and brown. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
- To make icing: Whisk together icing sugar, butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Drizzle onto rolls and enjoy!