Sleeping in. Laying in bed for an hour, not wanting/needing to get out from under the covers. Making a deliciously indulgent breakfast. Eating three portions of it. Then maybe having a nap.
Yes, Sunday mornings are the best.
Blackberries were on sale at my local store so I bought a pack, not knowing what I’d do with them. Then Sunday morning came, and well, berries and breakfast are just meant to be together! I had been craving french toast all week, so this baby was born.
The sweetness of the french toast is balanced out by the tartness of the blackberries and the hint of basil. Drool. Can you say Spring?
|Blackberry Basil French Toast|| || |
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of milk
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 12 slices of your favourite bread
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 Tbsp basil, finely chopped
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture until saturated, about 2 seconds for each side.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Brown slices on both sides.
- Serve with blackberries, basil, and syrup.