Quesadillas are something I tend to make when I’ve had a long day at work and don’t really feel like cooking dinner, but want something delicious and easy and in my belly asap. It takes about 20 minutes to whip up some quesadillas and you can use pretty much whatever you have in your fridge, provided you have enough cheese to hold it all together. When you make queseadillas, you’re pretty much guaranteed a happy tummy.
And if you use this mango salsa, oh boy, you’ll have a really happy tummy. This salsa is so darn good; it’s a fiesta of freshness and it tastes fantastic on anything. A simple quesadilla, tacos, chicken, grilled salmon, or even just on its own with a bag of tortilla chips and a bottle of Corona. Not that I’m promoting alcohol consumption. I promise, if you like mango, try this salsa. It’s all I’ll be eating this summer.
|Black Bean Quesadillas with Mango Salsa|| |
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 6 whole wheat wraps
- 300g monterey jack jalapeno cheese, shredded
- 1 can black beans
- Make the salsa: combine mango, red pepper, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Let sit for at least 10 minutes so all the flavours get to know each other.
- Drain and rinse beans. Mash to desired consistency and set aside. (I kept mine fairly chunky to keep a bit of the texture.)
- Place a wrap on a skillet over medium heat and sprinkle a thin layer of cheese all over.
- Once cheese has melted slightly, cover half the quesadilla with beans. Add mango salsa on top of beans.
- Fold quesadilla in half and heat for a few more minutes, until cheese has melted into the beans and salsa.
- Repeat with the rest of the wraps, slice and serve.