Occasionally I get sick of sweets (gasp! I know! Me!) and go on a health kick that involves a lot of salads, exercise, and water. Usually this happens when I either a) eat too many mocha walnut brownies, b) realize that summer is right around the corner, or c) BOTH.
I do try and be healthy to make up for how much I love to bake. Sometimes I’ll hit the gym, do lots of walking, or eat salads for lunch so I know I can pig out on dinner later. Everything in moderation! If I want pasta for dinner and cake for dessert, I’m going to have it – there’s no way I’m depriving myself of good food. So, to make up for it, I try and throw in a salad here and there.
This is one tasty salad. A lot of people reserve sweet potato for the fall months, but it’s so great any time of year! This salad is loaded with
trendy healthy bits like kale, quinoa, chicken, and, since my sweet-tooth-on-a-health-kick still needs to be satisfied, sweet potatoes and dried cranberries. The dressing is a simple to let the food flavours shine. Is it lunchtime yet?
- For the sweet potato:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tbsp honey
- For the salad:
- 70oz baby kale
- 3 cups roasted sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup quinoa, cooked and ready to go
- 1½ cup shredded chicken
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- To roast the sweet potatoes: preheat oven to 350°. Mix together sweet potato, olive oil, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Place on an unlined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened.
- To make the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic, then slowly whisk in honey until combined.
- Make the salad: Toss together the roasted sweet potatoes, kale, quinoa, chicken, cranberries and dressing. Enjoy!