With Christmas just a few short days away, the new year is right behind. I’m not a regular resolution-maker, but I do like to take the time to reflect on the previous year and think about the highs and lows. We all have good and bad months, even good and bad years, and with the coming of 2017, I can’t help but feel an excitement and general curiosity for what lies ahead.
The beauty of life is how unpredictable it is.
One thing is for certain, though: New Year parties are meant for appetizers.
The holidays are so indulgent. With multiple Christmas parties, festive cocktails, and turkey-loaded, mashed potato-filled family dinners, by the time December 31st rolls around, the last thing anyone wants to eat is a meal. Bite sized, snack-worthy appetizers are an absolute must on New Years Eve.
These shrimp salad phyllo bites are the perfect appetizer to serve to a crowd. Easy to assemble (and cute!), the phyllo creates a crispy, buttery, flaky cup to hold the filling. The creamy shrimp salad complements the crunch of the phyllo pastry, and the result is a crunchy, tangy appetizer. They’re kind of like chips… it’s hard to eat just one!
- Buttery, flaky phyllo cups
- Smooth, creamy shrimp salad
- Crisp celery pieces for added crunch
- A bit of hot sauce for heat (optional, but recommended!)
- Fresh dill for an aromatic, slightly bitter flavour
- Bite sized, for easy one-handed eating (no need to put down that champagne!)
In true appetizer fashion, these cups are easy to prepare and can be made well in advance of your party. Simply cook up the phyllo cups, fill with the shrimp salad, and refrigerate until ready to serve!
Use this recipe as a guideline, customizing the ingredients to your taste. If your shrimp is extra “seafoody” in taste, perhaps you’ll need to add more dill, or more mayo. Don’t like spice? Omit the hot sauce, but maybe swap for cocktail sauce. The possibilities are endless.
And with that, I bid you adieu! Finn will post later this week, but after that, we’ll be taking two weeks off from blogging to relax and enjoy the holidays.
Happy holidays and Merry New Year! See you in 2017!
|Shrimp Salad Phyllo Bites|| || |
- 5 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1-2 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A few drops of lemon juice
- ¼-1/2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 340g small shrimp, peeled and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, sliced down the middle, then finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo pastry on a clean counter, then brush with melted butter. Lay a second sheet of phyllo over top, then brush with butter. Repeat until alll 5 sheets are layered on top of one another.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut lengthwise into 4 strips, and crosswise into 6 strips, to make 24 equal squares. Press each square into the cup of a mini muffin pan. Bake for 7 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle juice, dill, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and hot sauce until smooth. Stir in the shrimp and celery and toss until well coated.
- Transfer shrimp mixture to the phyllo cups. Refrigerate until ready to serve.