I freaking love snack mix. Any kind of crunchy, salty, textured snack, really. Popcorn. Bits n’ Bites. Munchies. Trail mix. The somewhat questionable bowl of peanuts you get when you sit down at a pub table.
These easy to grab, easy to eat snacks are my absolute favourite. I try to replace theme with healthier options now and then, but when the craving hits… I really can’t stay away. I often make my own snack mix in the oven, but ever since making it in my crock pot, I’ll never go back to the oven again.
Gotta love slow cookers. They just make everything so easy!
This mix hits the perfect balance of salty and savoury. Lots of flavour, lots of crunch, and lots of texture. The perfect movie snack.
The best part about this recipe is that it is completely customizable. Use whatever you have on hand! I like to include Chex cereal (those waffle edges catch all the sauce), cheese nips (because cheese is always appreciated), pretzels (obviously) and Cheerios (because that’s usually what I have in my cupboard), but feel free to change it up.
The sauce is the important part, but again, customize it to your taste. This classic combo of butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce (if you like) yields a savoury BBQ flavour that’s sure to rock your tastebuds. Customize it to your taste!
Once the sauce is made, combine it all in the crock pot and give it a good stir to get everything fully coated. Place the lid of the slow cooker on an angle, so the steam can escape as it cooks (which yields the perfect crunch) and cook on high for about 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so.
A word of caution: if making for a party, make a standard batch. If making for yourself, best to halve the recipe so you don’t end up eating it all.
|Savoury Crock Pot Snack Mix|| |
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups cheese nips
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cup Cheerios
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- In a slow cooker, combine Chex, cheese nips, pretzels, and Cheerios.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce. Pour over cereal mixture and stir well to coat.
- Place the lid on the crock pot on an angle to allow the steam to vent as it cooks (yielding the perfect crunch). Cook on high for about 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so.
- Remove from crock pot and let cool before serving.