January has a reputation for being a bit of a bummer of a month. Blue Monday (the Most Depressing Day of the Year) falls in January, which makes sense if you really think about it.
- With the end of the hustle & bustle of the holidays, you fall back into your regular routine. No more Christmas parties, no more vacation time, no more Christmas carols;
- Post-holiday credit card bills roll out in January, which can leave some scratching their heads and/or regretting their holiday purchases;
- The weather is, well, gloomy. The first day of winter falls at the end of December, so come January, winter rears its ugly head;
- Your resolutions, if you made them, might start to taper off (unless you’re a superhero. Then we’re impressed.)
With all of that, it’s a wonder any of us even get out of bed in January at all. I vote we make January a mandatory Self Improvement Month, and we can all stay home in the comfort of our slippers and snuggies. Any takers?
Unfortunately, we’re already at the end of January, so we’ll have to wait until 2018 to implement Self Improvement Month. We’ll just have to settle for regular ol’ weekends to recharge ourselves. Make the most of them and treat yo’ self! Even if you’re busy, take the time to indulge in something special, whether that be a nice pot of tea, a walk in the park, or a quick bite of a chewy, melty, oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie.
I’ve spiked these cookies with a generous amount of freshly grated ginger, which gives them a slight bite and balances out the sweetness of all the chocolate. These cookies are so chewy and addicting, one bite of the melty chocolate chunks will have your tastebuds singing and your heart swooning.
- Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and packed with oats
- Loaded with chunks of melty, dark chocolate
- Infused with tangy ginger (omit, if you prefer, but it really is tasty!)
- Sprinkled with sea salt
Even in January, it’ll take a lot to get me down in the presence of a warm, chocolate chip cookie.
|Oatmeal & Ginger Chocolate Chunk Cookies|| |
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ cups high-quality chocolate chunks
- Sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugars, and ginger until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined. Stir in oats and chocolate chunks.
- Drop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until lightly browned all over. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.