As much as I try to make healthy choices in my adult life, hot diggety, do I love processed food. Hot dogs, pop tarts, pizza bites, hot pockets, Dunkaroos… these all have a special place in my heart, perhaps for nostalgia reasons, but nonetheless, I love ’em. In moderation, of course – I rarely actually buy these items, but they can certainly hit the spot every once in a while.
In lieu of buying such things, sometimes I’ll try to create my own version. This way, I know exactly what’s going into them, and I can feel accomplished in really satisfactory “I’m an Adult” kind of way.
These mini homemade cornbread muffins stuffed with hot dogs are similar in name and in theory to the original Corn Dog, but without all the preservative gunk. They’re adorable, bite-sized, and super fun to eat as a snack or as a side to your summer BBQ or salad meal.
These really are best eaten right out of the oven, for optimum cornbread freshness; although don’t worry about leftovers, as they keep for a couple of days in the fridge and can be reheated quite easily in the microwave or toaster oven. Snack on them for lunch, serve them as your “bread” aside your dinner, or even have them for breakfast (you can put a fried egg on anything and it counts as breakfast. Especially these. Yum!)
You can be sure I’ll be making these for my summer camping trips. Stick these babies on a stick and heat them over and open flame, and they’re sure to be delicious!
Now bring on summer! ?
|Corn Dog Bites|| |
- 1¼ cups cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 4 precooked hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease a mini muffin tin and place the tin in the oven as you prepare the recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add in egg, vegetable oil, and milk, stirring briefly until just combined.
- Remove the hot tin from the oven and scoop the batter into the mini muffin cups, filling each cup about ¾ full. Insert a piece of hot dog into the centre of each cup.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Serve immediately.